With a starting price of $20,635 (including a mandatory $825 delivery charge), Toyota’s hybrid subcompact is relatively affordable, yet offers combined economy of 50 mpg. The 2015 Toyota Prius C is evidence that the options have expanded.
It’s also capable of 50 mpg combined (53 mpg city, 46 mpg highway), according to official EPA ratings, making it one of the most efficient cars on sale without a plug.
The Prius C gets its power from a 1.5-liter Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine, similar to that used in the previous-generation Prius.
It’s no ball of fire, but with 99 horsepower it’s got enough urge for the shorter-distance, lower speed duties for which many will be used.
And its ability to turn off its engine at lower speeds and operate on electric power alone certainly aids city economy–though in our experience, even if you drive it hard, you’ll end up above 40 mpg in any use.
We’ve written about the Prius C on several occasions, and you’ll find those stories listed below under several categories–driving, buying, general news and information, and auto show reports.
And if you’re looking to buy your first hybrid vehicle, why not read our guide on what to expect in your transition to a hybrid car–and see whether a hybrid could be right for you.
Buying the Prius C
Hybrid sales are in a slump right now due to low gas prices, and the Prius C is likely no different despite being close to the bottom in terms of base price.
Despite its small stature, the Prius C wasn’t actually the cheapest hybrid on sale when it launched. That honor fell to the Honda Insight, though Honda killed off its subcompact hybrid after the 2014 model year, so now the Prius C is the lowest-priced hybrid offered in the U.S.
The Prius C handily eat the Insight on fuel efficiency too, and you can read our comparison of the Honda Insight and Prius C models by clicking on the link. For further buying details, click through some of the stories below.
- Toyota Prius Range Gets Bigger Discounts In CA, Prius C Especially
- Toyota Announces 2013 Pricing For Prius C, Camry Hybrid
- Hybrid Resale-Value Leaders: Toyota Prius C, Ford Fusion Hybrid
- Graduating From College? Get $1,000 Off A 2012 Toyota Prius C
- Why Prius Buyers Choose C Over Liftback: Price, Ride, Normality
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: Buyers Like It, But Not Consumer Reports
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: Price-Gouging Pic Proves Popularity Of 50MPG Hybrid
- As The 2012 Toyota Prius C Goes On Sale, We Spec Our Own
- 2012 Toyota Prius C Hybrid Vs 2012 Toyota Yaris: MPG Battle
Driving the Prius C
So does the Toyota Prius C drive like a hybridized Yaris, or a miniaturized Prius?
A little of both, actually, but for detailed impressions you can read the first drive report below. For comparison, we’ve also had a drive in the Toyota Yaris Hybrid sold in Europe–and it’s interesting to note the similarities and differences.
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: Real-World Gas Mileage Test
- 2012 Toyota Yaris Hybrid Driven: Why Europeans Won’t Get Prius C
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: First Drive Report And Full Details
Head to the next page for more Prius C news and information.
2015 Toyota Prius C
News and information
Here you’ll find more general information on the Toyota Prius C.
Did you know, for example, that the Prius C has helped Toyota to sell more than six million hybrid vehicles globally?
For other stories on the Prius C, click on some of the links below.
- Why Toyota’s Scion Brand Isn’t Planning A Hybrid Or Electric Car Anytime Soon
- Toyota Prius C Concepts: Tokyo Motor Show Photo Gallery
- Toyota Prius C Hybrid To Get Convertible Model In Japan?
- California Is Unlike Anywhere Else: Toyota Prius Most Popular New Car
- ACEEE Announces Greenest Cars Of The Year
- Toyota Prius Hybrid Family: Which Models Are Most Successful?
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: Yes, Your Gas Mileage Will Vary
- 2012 Toyota Prius V, Prius C, Help Toyota Top 4 Million Hybrid Sales
- 2012 Toyota Prius C, Malibu Eco Get IIHS Top Safety Pick Award
- 2012 Toyota Prius C So Popular In Japan, Toyota Ups Production
- 2012 Toyota Prius C Manual Leaked: Here’s What It Tells Us
- 2012 Toyota Prius C Compact Hybrid On Sale In Japan, Detroit Launch Coming
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: Video Shows Sporty Hybrid On The Road
- 2012 Toyota Prius C Unveiled: Compact 52-MPG-Plus Hybrid Hatchback
- Whoops: 2012 Toyota Prius C Compact Hybrid Shown In Brochure Leak
Auto show reports
With Prius Cs now roaming thee streets there’s less emphasis on its initial auto show appearances, but should you wish to check out any of our previous coverage on the car, then you can find it via the links below.
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: Detroit Auto Show Video
- 2012 Toyota Prius C: 50-MPG Subcompact Hybrid For $19K, Detroit Auto Show Details
- 2012 Toyota Prius C Compact Hybrid: 2011 Tokyo Motor Show Debut Live Gallery
For a comprehensive rundown. head over to our sister site TheCarConnection for a full review of the 2015 Toyota Prius C.